Reference code(s): GB 0214 P220CW
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Skewen Ecclesiastical Parish records
Short Title: Skewen Ecclesiastical Parish records
Creation date(s): 1850-2003
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.43 cubic metres, (20 boxes, 14 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Skewen Ecclesiastical Parish
Administrative/Biographical history: Skewen Ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1844 from the parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath. St. John's church was consecrated in 1851. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, Pentreffynnon, was erected in 1904 and the mission church at Mooretown erected c1893. All Saints opened in 1948 and closed September 2001.
Scope and content/abstract: Skewen Ecclesiastical Parish records for St John's church, St. Mary the Virgin, Pentreffynnon, All Saints and mission church including registers of banns, 1954-1989; services, 1957-1992; baptisms, 1850-1986; marriages, 1850-2003; burials, 1929-1972; banns, 1951-1961; confirmations, 1889-2004; glebe, 1921; licences, 1905; churchwardens, 1906-1963; parochial church council, 1920-1948, 1951-2004; vestry, 1957-2003; churchyard, 1890-1964; church affairs, 1905; parish magazines, 1914-2007; St John's Sunday School attendance registers, 1911-1919, 1926-1937, 1947-1981; Llandarcy Mission Church and Sunday School register of services, 1959-1974, and Sunday School attendance registers, 1939-1958; accounts, 1955-1993; burial certificates, accounts and notes, 1933-1961; grave list, 1986; photographs and miscellaneous records, 19th century-20th century
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Skewen Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbent, 1978-2013
Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Archives
Existence and location of copies: Facsimiles of parish registers available for public use at the Glamorgan Archives.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000); www.churchinwales.org.uk Revised by A Thynne and L Hunt.
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006, revised April 2013