ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, papers

Reference code(s): GB 0124 D114

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, papers

Short Title: Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, papers

Creation date(s): 1999

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.001 cubic metres (1 envelope)

Name of creator(s): Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, Cardiff

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: During the late-nineteenth century, evangelical work carried out on the Church of England Mission Ship HMS Thisbe whilst docked at Cardiff resulted in the conversion of a number of dockworkers, pilots and boatmen. They began to hold open air services at the Pierhead each Sunday evening, and their number grew. Mr Gale, the superintendent of the Mission Ship, hired a room in Stuart Street for the group to meet. They later moved to rooms in Eleanor Place, which became known as the 'Seamen's Bethel'. Further rooms were acquired in Evelyn Street, where a successful assembly and Sunday school were established. Around this time, Grangetown was rapidly developing into a residential area, and it was felt that it offered a good location for new premises. Ebenezer Hall opened on Corporation Road, the main thoroughfare connecting Grangetown to the docks and the town centre, on 5 October 1899. By 1900, there were 61 people registered in fellowship at the Hall. A Board of Trustees was established in 1906, and they remained responsible for the building in 1999. The Sunday School also proved successful and grew to number some 500 children during the 1930s and 1940s, with 38 teachers in charge. In 1912 it was decided to hold the first Cardiff Missionary Conference in Ebenezer. Around the same time, it was decided to seek a house in Cardiff to accommodate missionaries and their families coming home from the mission field. The Cardiff Missionary Home was established on Pentrebane Street and was still to be found there in 1999. The fellows at Ebenezer established links with a local football team, and many were converted as a result. Under the leadership of Mr Alf Desallioud, the 'Grangetown Tract and Bible Band' visited the valleys to distribute Christian literature. During the 1920s, the first organ was installed at Ebenezer. The Hall was also the site of a soup kitchen during the depression. The 1930s saw an empty shop converted into a Mission Hall. A Sunday school established there grew to about 100 children, and the work continued until the 1970s when the docks residential area was redeveloped. The 1930s also saw the opening of a housing estate at Leckwith, where an additional branch of Ebenezer, the Leckwith Gospel Hall, was established. During the Second World War, the basement of Ebenezer was used as an air raid shelter. Ebenezer itself managed to escape the bombs which fell on the docks. In 1941, the Windsor Gospel Hall on Holmesdale Street closed. Many joined Ebenezer, although the Windsor Sunday school and women's meeting continued. The vacant Congregational chapel on Paget Street was soon acquired, and the Windsor cause recommenced in fellowship with Ebenezer. It was during the Second World War that the Christian Youth Movement at Ebenezer was established. It proved such a success that worked continued for many years after the War. On 19 February 1985, a fire spread through Ebenezer. The Hall survived, although sections were severely damaged and extensive repair and reconstruction work was required. In 1994, Mr Brian Lowrie became Ebenezer's first full-time worker. In 1999, Ebenezer was also continuing its work distributing literature aboard the ships at the docks. Ebenezer Gospel Hall remains open at the time of writing.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, papers comprising of a centennary booklet entitled A Century of Blessing, Ebernezer, Corporation Road, Grangetown, Cardiff, 1899-1999, 1999

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Ebernezer Gospel Hall, Grangetown, papers arranged by item

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual, 2005

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details