Reference code(s): GB 0214 D117
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Insole Family Ely Court, Records
Short Title: Insole Family Ely Court, Records
Creation date(s): 1882-1900
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.02 cubic metres (1 volume and 1 paper)
Name of creator(s): Insole Family Ely Court
Administrative/Biographical history: James Harvey Insole (1821-1901) was born in Worcester and came to Cardiff in 1827 with his father George Insole (1790-1851)who became owner of Maesmawr Colliery. The family��TMs success developed with the expansion of the coal industry and George Insole��TMs activity and involvement in the steam-coal shipping trade. George Insole was a promoter of the Taff Vale Railway. JH Insole joined his father in business in 1842 and they purchased extensive coal mining privileges at Cymer and elsewhere in the Rhondda valley. JH Insole was a director of the Penarth Dock and Railway and of the Ely Valley Railway. He became a magistrate of Cardiff 1857 and Glamorgan 1867 and was first president of the Cardiff Chamber of Commerce. See in particular Rhondda Coal, Cardiff Gold. The Insoles of Llandaff Coal Owners and Shippers (Merton Priory Press, Whitchurch, Cardiff 1997) by Richard C Watson, and references cited.
Scope and content/abstract: Insole Family Ely Court, records comprising of photograph album, 1898-1900; letter, 1882
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Insole Family Ely Court, records
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the Catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual, 2002
Related material: See also DXCV/1-13 (Insoles Ltd records); DCOM/C (Cardiff Chamber of Commerce records)
Note: Ely Court was begun in 1855 and completed in 1857 or 1858 for JH Insole according to the designs of WG Habershon. The house was extended in 1873 and c1875. The house later became a community centre and the gardens were converted into a public park.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Archives finding aids
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2006