ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Carmel Congregational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 D205

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Carmel Congragational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston records

Short Title: Carmel Congregational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston records

Creation date(s): 1862-2005

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.02 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): Carmel Congragational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The congregational cause at Carmel, Bonvilston was established in 1834 under the ministry of the Revd. Benjamin Morgan of Taihirion. Carmel Chapel opened in 1835, at a cost of £400. The membership increased under the ministry of Mr John Davies, who served the chapel jointly with the cause at Llantrisant, although debt owed on the building of the chapel remained a problem. In 1837, Mr John Jones was ordained minister, followed in 1841 by Mr Rees Evans, who resigned after 6 years to emigrate to America. Debt continued to be a burden, and it was decided to sell the chapel to the Baptist cause. On the eve of the sale, the key could not be found and the sale could not go ahead. The key was held by members Mary and Benjamin John, who sold their two pigs in order to reduce the debt and save the building. In 1850, Mr James Thomas began conducting regular services at Carmel. He was inducted as minister in 1853, and went on to organise a variety of activities in an effort to clear the debt. As a result, the debt was paid and extra money was made available to renovate the chapel. In 1860, the burial ground was extended and a stable built nearby. In 1877, the chapel was rebuilt and the entire cost paid in full before the opening services in November that year. Mr James Thomas died in 1879 aged 63. He was buried in the chapel burial ground with members paying for his tombstone. Mr Thomas was followed by William Edgar Evans, who was ordained in 1880. Mr Evans was known as the 'Bishop of the Vale' due to his work as pastor in the community. A number of ministers followed, including A. J. Evans and H. Oswald Evans. Carmel was also served by many excellent deacons, including Hopkin Smith, John Smith and James Price. The chapel closed in 1999 and the building is now derelict.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Carmel Congragational/United Reformed Chapel, Bonvilston records comprising of financial papers; minutes; ministers papers; histories and reminiscences; papers relating to special occasions; papers concerning chapel regulation, 1862-2005

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English and Welsh

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically by record series

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by a private individual, 2002-2003

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Thomas Rees, Hanes Eglwysi Annibynol Cymru (Dolgellau: William Hughes, 1891)

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details