ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
Tylorstown Rugby Football Club records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 D326

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: Tylorstown Rugby Football Club records

Short Title: Tylorstown Rugby Football Club records

Creation date(s): 2004

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.001 cubic metres (1 volume)

Name of creator(s): Tylorstown Rugby Football Club

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Tylorstown Rugby Football Club was established between 1895 and 1900 during the period of rapid industrial expansion in the Rhondda valleys but its early history is largely undocumented before 1905. The club was unable to progress until it found a permanent but physically unsuitable ground (the 'Stanleytown Tump') near Blaenllechau Isaf farm above Stanleytown in 1907. The gradual development of the sport in the immediate area enabled Tylorstown RFC to join the Rhondda League and the sporting reputation of the club subsequently grew despite lengthy industrial disputes in the local coalmines, a break imposed by World War I (1914-1918) and financial depression in the coal industry during the 1920s. The club was forced to abandon its sports ground at Stanleytown owing to its unsafe condition but eventually obtained a better home at Penrhys Park in 1934 - constructed under an unemployment scheme managed by Rhondda Borough Council - and achieved full Welsh Rugby Union status. The club had to be re-formed in 1945 after World War II and is at present (2004) the only WRU rugby football club in the Rhondda Fach valley. The volume contains a detailed summary of the history of the club between 1903 and 2004.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Tylorstown Rugby Football Club comprising of history of the club, 2004

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically by record series

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: deposited by Tylorstown Rugby Football Club, 2004

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details