Reference code(s): GB 0214 D375
Held at: Glamorgan Archives
Title: Caerphilly/Caerffili Boys Secondary School and St. Martins Comprehensive school, Caerphilly
Short Title: Caerphilly/Caerphili Boys Secondary School and St. Martins Comprehensive school, Caerphilly
Creation date(s): 1927-1989
Level of description: Fonds
Extent: 0.6 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Caerphilly Junior Technical School; Caerphilly/Caerphili Boys Secondary School and St. Martins Comprehensive school, Caerphilly
Administrative/Biographical history: Caerphilly Boys' Secondary School originated as Caerphilly Higher Elementary School in 1912. This school was established under the Education Act 1902 and was intended to provide an extended elementary education for selected pupils aged 12 to 15, drawn from a wider catchment area than Elementary Schools, with practical and preparatory schooling for local employment. Strictly speaking, these schools were not 'Secondary' or even vocational and, owing largely to uncertainty over their status and function, few education authorities created them. Glamorgan, however, set up six, all of which became Secondary Schools under the county scheme 1920. Intermediate or 'Grammar' School standard pupils were still expected to go to Hengoed, Pontypridd and Trefforest Intermediate Schools. In practice, the existence of dedicated staff, the long headmastership of W. Gladstone Rees (1912-1936) and effective use of the pupil teacher system raised standards. The restrictions on many 'Intermediate School subjects' and vocational subjects were largely ignored and practical employment subjects (practical science, office skills, domestic work, woodwork, metalwork and needlework) were added to a core formed by English, Welsh, mathematics, history, geography, drawing and general science. The popularity of the school grew rapidly when it was replaced by the non fee-paying Caerphilly Secondary School for mixed sexes in a new building in Crescent Road in 1921. Status stopped short of 'Intermediate' and pupils of this standard were still expected to go to Pontypridd Intermediate School. The school was divided in 1929 and replaced by Caerffili/Caerphilly Boys' Secondary School in a new building on Mountain Road. The Girls' Secondary School remained at Crescent Road. Senior Elementary School pupils were then expected to stay on in the Elementary Schools until 1933 when Gwyndy Girls' and Twyn Boys' Senior Schools were provided. Caerphilly Boys' School was effectively an Intermediate or 'Grammar' School and extended its curriculum to include traditional Grammar School subjects such as Latin and French. Its wider vocational function developed further when pupils of the Junior Technical School were added in 1953.The change in status was formally recognised in 1953 when it became Caerffili Boys' Secondary Grammar Technical School. The Junior Technical School opened in 1930 in the building constructed for the Mining and Technical Institute in 1927. Caerffili Boys' and Girls' Schools were amalgamated in 1974 to form St Martin's Comprehensive School, Hillside, Mountain Road. The Girls' Schools in Crescent Road and Pontygwyndy Road became St Ilan Comprehensive School, Upper and Lower.
Scope and content/abstract: Caerphilly/Caerffili Boys Secondary School and St. Martins Comprehensive school, Caerphilly records comprising registers; entrance agreements; papers relating to Cearphilly Junior Technical school, Cearphili Boys Secondary school and St. Martins Comprehensive school
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically by record series
Conditions governing access: No Restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Archival history: Records were accumulated over the period1929 to 1989 and many standard records such as log-books are missing.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited St Martins Comprehensive school, Caerphilly, 2005
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of descriptions: March 2006