ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Glamorgan Archives
S. Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd and Chivers family papers

Reference code(s): GB 0214 D397

Held at: Glamorgan Archives

Title: S. Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd and Chivers family papers

Short Title: S. Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd and Chivers family papers

Creation date(s): 1919-1983

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.0025 cubic metres (1 folder)

Name of creator(s): S. Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd; Chivers family

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: S. Chivers and Co. Ltd was incorporated in 1895 to take over the malt vinegar brewers established by Samuel Chivers (1843-1917) in the 1880s, originally at East Canal Wharf, Cardiff. Samuel Chivers worked in partnership with Isaac Padfield. The partnership was continued by Samuel's two sons Ernest Clifford Chivers (1874-1937) and Samuel Leonard Chivers (1885-1957), with the Chivers family holding a two-thirds interest, and the Padfield family holding a one-third interest in the company's shares. The company later moved to Wroughton Place, Ely, and extended manufacture to jams and pickles. The use of 'S. Chivers and Co. Ltd' was dropped after the Second World War for the sale of jam and marmalades in favour of 'Golden Grove'. During the war years the vinegar brewery business was transferred to British Vinegars Ltd who took a lease on the brewery premises. The transfer of the vinegar brewing business, the desire of some shareholders to disengage from the company and difficulties over future management, necessitated a change of policy. A report in 1975 led to a change of name to S. Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd. and the business (1976) and the factory excluding the old brewery (1977) were sold to Singlo Holdings Ltd. The lease to British Vinegars Ltd was surrendered in 1981 and the remainder of the property, which had been transferred to a new company Property Developments (Cardiff) Ltd, was sold and the company wound up.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: S Chivers Industrial Properties Ltd and Chivers family papers comprising of admisitrative and financial papers including a short history of the firm and Chivers family

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically by record series

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Archives conditions apply

Finding aids: A full version of the catalogue can be searched online at http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/calmview/

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Depositede by a private individual, 2005

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Glamorgan Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details