ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at West Glamorgan Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

West Glamorgan Archive Service
Margam estate collection

Reference code(s): GB 0216 DD Ma

Held at: West Glamorgan Archive Service

Title: Margam Estate Collection

Short Title: Margam estate collection

Creation date(s): 1682-1942

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 17.1 linear metres

Name of creator(s): Mansel family

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The ancestors of the Mansel family originated in Normandy and appear to have arrived in Britain in 1066. The Gower branch of the family lived in comparative obscurity during the Middle Ages, but through judicious marriages with local families they acquired the manors of Penrice, Oxwich and Port Eynon in 1410, which formed the basis of the family's Gower estates. Later purchases included the manors of Landimore (including Rhossili), Weobley and Reynoldston, and later still, portions of the Popkins and Lucas estates in Gower. During the 15th and 16th centuries the Mansels lived mostly at Oxwich Castle, but at the Dissolution of the Monasteries Sir Rice Mansel first leased and later bought the lands and buildings of the Abbey of Margam. Rice Mansel, now the owner of lands stretching from one end of Glamorgan almost to the other, set about converting the old monastic buildings into a mansion, which became the principal home of his descendants for the next 200 years. The Mansel family line came to an end in 1750 with Bussy, the fourth Baron Mansel, and the estates, but not the title, passed to the family of his sister Mary who had married John Ivory Talbot of Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire. In the 1770s Thomas Mansel Talbot built a new house at Penrice, as an alternative residence to the rambling old house at Margam. The house at Margam was in its turn pulled down in the early 19th century and a new mansion was built there between 1827 and 1830 near the ruins of the old abbey. According to the 1873 return of owners of land, Christopher Rice Mansel Talbot, of Margam owned an estimated 34,033 acres in Wales (all in Glamorgan), with an estimated rental of £44,175.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Rentals and accounts, 1682-1940; rentals, 1751-1757, accounts including the Penrice estate, 1743-1880; cash books, 1784-1872; wages books, 1843-1891; household accounts, 1845-1932; poll books for Glamorgan election, 1820; ship's log book, 1806-1808; printed material relating to maritime affairs; ship's logs for the Talbot family yachts, 1845-1873, and a plan of a proposed orangery at Margam, [c. 1785].

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into rentals, accounts, poll books for Glamorgan election, records relating to ships, maps and plans.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. Further details relating to manorial records can be accessed from the Manorial Documents Register.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Information not available

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: It is the policy of the West Glamorgan Archive Service to withhold the names of depositors.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further papers relating to the Talbot family of Penrice and Margam are West Glamorgan Archive Service: D/D P, D/D Xgz, D/D Xgc, D/D Z 24, 25, 26. The main part of this archive is held National Library of Wales, Penrice and Margam Estate Records. Further papers are also held by the Dorset Record Office: D/FSI; and British Library: Harleian Charters 75A1-75D25. Various members of the Llewellyn family of Baglan and Cwrt Colman acted as stewards or agents of the Penrice and Margam estate, and records relating to their activities in this capacity are held in the Glamorgan Record Office: Llewellyn estate records.

Publication note: Martin, Joanna, ed., The Penrice letters, 1768-1795, (Swansea : Cardiff : West Glamorgan County Archives Service ; South Wales Record Society, 1993).

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Mair James for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: West Glamorgan Archive Service, Schedule of Margam Estate Papers ; Collis, Kim, The West Glamorgan Archive Service: A Guide to the Collections, (West Glamorgan Archive Service, 1998).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2002


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Estate administration | Wales | Glamorgan
Margam Estate (Wales) | Records and correspondence
Nautical paraphernalia | Wales | Glamorgan
Penrice Estate (Wales) | Archives
Yachts | Wales | Glamorgan

Personal names
Mansel , Rice , Sir
Mansel family , of Margam
Talbot , C. R. M. (Christopher Rice Mansel) , 1803-1890
Talbot family , of Margam and Penrice Castle

Corporate names
Margam Estate (Wales)

Places
Glamorgan (Wales)
Margam (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at West Glamorgan Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details