ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at West Glamorgan Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

West Glamorgan Archive Service
Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection, papers

Reference code(s): GB 0216 RISW BG

Held at: West Glamorgan Archive Service

Title: Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection

Short Title: Bach-y-gwreiddyn Estate Collection, papers

Creation date(s): 1481-1808

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.009 cubic metres (1 box)

Name of creator(s): The Matthew family

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: This estate consisted of properties in the parishes of Bishopston, Llangennith, Llanrhidian, Loughor and Swansea which belonged to the Mathew family of Little Hill, Bishopston. In the 16th century the family were farmers, the head describing himself as ‼sup>~yeoman‼sup>TM, but by the 17th century, after a number of purchases of farms and scattered pieces of land, the Mathew family were able to describe themselves as gentlemen. The estate was inherited by Margaret Mathew, as the granddaughter and heiress of Owen Mathew senior. In 1699 she married Richard Prichard of Bach-y-gwreiddyn, and the estate became part of the Prichard family holdings. Little Hill was situated in the middle of the parish of Bishopston, near Pennard Mill, to the north of the village of Bishopston. The house is marked on the tithe map of 1844, but by the time of the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1877 the house had been demolished.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Deeds relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, 1481-1808; Bonds relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, 1569-1734; Legal papers relating to the Bach-y-gwreiddyn estate, n.d.-1615

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: The collection was originally catalogued with the Collins papers (RISW C) by the University College of Swansea Library. This catalogue lists the items chronologically under the headings stated in Scope and content.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the West Glamorgan Archive Service. The catalogue can be accessed online.

Detailed catalogue

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to the West Glamorgan Archive Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: The records were originally held at The Royal Institution of South Wales, Swansea. From 1966 onwards the records were moved to the library in the University College, Swansea in consignments. They were transferred to West Glamorgan Archive Service in the Spring of 2004 as part of The Royal Institution of South Wales Collection.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Katie Millien for the West Glamorgan Archive Service.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at West Glamorgan Archive Service  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details