ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Swansea University  |  Contact details

Swansea University
Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries

Reference code(s): GB 0217 SWCC : MNB/COL/1

Held at: Swansea University

Title: Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries

Short Title: Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries

Creation date(s): 1908

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 1 envelope

Name of creator(s): Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries were orignially two separate Collieries situated near Glyn-neath in the Vale of Neath.
Aberpergwm Colliery was the name given to a number of slant mines in the Glyn-neath area. Many of which had been worked since the early 1800s. In 1906, the Modern Aberpergwm slant was opened by the Aberpergwm Colliery Company. The latter became a limited liability company in 1911 but was soon made a subsidary of Amalgamated Anthracite Collieries Ltd. After Nationalisation in 1947, Aberpergwm Colliery was place in the National Coal Board's South Western Division, No. 9 (Neath) Area, No. 1 Group.
Pwllfaron Colliery was an anthracite slant mine which had been opened c. 1866. By 1910, Pwllfaron was owned by the Aberpergwm Colliery Company. The Colliery was working independantly from Aberpergwm Colliery in 1917 and 1921 but by 1932, only Aberpergwm was listed in trade directories. On Nationalisation, Pwllfaron is again listed seperately and is put into a different NCB Area, South Western Division, No. 1 (Swansea) Area. After this date it seems to have merged completely with Aberpergwm.
During the 1950s the National Coal Board re-organised the Neath Area mines. New anthracite slant mines were opened at Cwmgwach and Pentreclwdau and a new central washery was built at Aberpergwm. In 1985, Aberpergwm Colliery was finally closed by the N.C.B.
Source: Ray Lawrence, The South Wales Coalfield Directory, Vol. 2 (1998 edn), pp. 49-50, 428

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Price lists 1908

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access: Access unrestricted unless stated otherwise.

Conditions governing reproduction: A photocopying service is available. Contact repository for details.
No publication without written permission from the Archivist.

Finding aids: A hardcopy list is available in the searchroom.

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Coal mines and mining | Wales, South
Price indexes
Wages | Coal miners

Personal names

Corporate names
Aberpergwm Colliery (Wales)
Great Britain | National Coal Board
Pwllfaron Colliery

Places
Aberpergwm Colliery (Wales)
Pwllfaron (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Swansea University  |  Contact details