ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Gwent Archives
Newport Borough Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0218 A1100

Held at: Gwent Archives

Title: Newport Borough Council Records

Short Title: Newport Borough Council, records

Creation date(s): 1739-1892

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Newport Borough Council

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: A castle was built in Newport by Robert Fitz Hamon, first Lord of the Manors of Morganwg, Brecon and Usk, in the late 11th century. The first known charter conferred on the town was that given by Hugh Despenser in 1324, confirmed by half a dozen others over the next two centuries. The borough was run by a Mayor (or Reeve) and bailiffs. In 1623 Newport received its first Royal Charter, from James I. This created a Corporation which consisted of a mayor and twelve aldermen who governed the Borough and were responsible for law and order. They were assisted by a Recorder and two Bailiffs. This system of government lasted in essence until the passing of the Municipal Corporations Act 1835. This reconstituted the Corporation as an elected Borough Council, comprising a mayor, aldermen and councillors. During the 19th century the Borough grew in size from 239 acres to 4924 acres by taking in parts of the surrounding parishes of St Woollos, Christchurch and Nash. In 1892 Newport was awarded the status of a County Borough.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Newport Borough Council, 1739-1892.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: No information found

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Gwent Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: No information found

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Gwent Record Office, Newport Borough Council, 1739-1892, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Davis, Haydn, The History of the Borough of Newport: from swamp to super-town (Newport, 1998).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: September 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Local government | Wales | Newport
Newport (Wales). | Borough Council | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Newport (Wales) | Borough Council

Places
Newport (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details