ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Gwent Archives
Monmouthshire County Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0218 C

Held at: Gwent Archives

Title: Monmouthshire County Council Records

Short Title: Monmouthshire County Council, records

Creation date(s): 1889-1974

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Monmouthshire County Council

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The county of Monmouthshire was created in 1536 from several medieval Marcher lordships. Until the late 19th century the judicial and many administrative functions within the county were carried out by the Justices of the Peace, meeting in Quarter Sessions. However following the Local Government Act 1888 their administrative responsibilities were transferred to the new Monmouthshire County Council. The Council initially served the whole of the county but in 1892 Newport was made a County Borough and thus became administratively separate. The County Council was responsible for a variety of services including roads and bridges, general planning issues, the fire service, weights and measures, entertainment licensing, childcare, education (from 1902), health, housing, car licensing and (from 1930) public assistance and social welfare. The Council was composed of a chairman, aldermen and councillors. Council elections took place every three years. The councillors then elected a chairman and a vice-chairman and also chose one third of their number to be aldermen (serving for six years). The work of the council was divided among various committees. The Council employed several officers, usually heading their own department with their own staff. These officers included a Clerk, Treasurer, Medical Officer of Health, Surveyor and Chief Education Officer. Monmouthshire County Council was abolished in 1974 under the Local Government Act 1972 and was replaced by Gwent County Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Monmouthshire County Council, 1889-1974.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: To be supplied

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Gwent Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: No information found

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Gwent Record Office, Monmouthshire County Council, 1889-1974, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Collis, Kim, West Glamorgan Archive Service - A Guide to the Collections (West Glamorgan Archive Service, 1998).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: October 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Local government | Wales | Blaenau Gwent
Local government | Wales | Caerphilly
Local government | Wales | Monmouthshire
Local government | Wales | Newport
Local government | Wales | Torfaen
Monmouthshire (Wales). | County Council | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Monmouthshire (Wales) | County Council

Places
Monmouthshire (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details