ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Gwent Archives
Risca and Crosskeys Primitive Methodist Circuit, records

Reference code(s): GB 0218 D 1963

Held at: Gwent Archives

Title: Risca and Crosskeys Primitive Methodist Circuit Records

Short Title: Risca and Crosskeys Primitive Methodist Circuit, records

Creation date(s): 1884-1933

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be found out

Name of creator(s): Risca and Crosskeys Primitive Methodist Circuit

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: This circuit included Risca until 1922, when a separate Risca Circuit was formed. This lasted until 1933, when the two circuits were amalgamated. Crosskeys, Gladstone Chapel united with High St Chapel in 1975 to form Crosskeys Methodist Chapel. The mission of Crumlin, Main Rd. Chapel commenced in 1891 and the chapel was opened in 1894. In 1962, Risca Ebenezer Chapel united with St. Johnâ€TMs to form Trinity. The West Monmouth Mission was inaugurated in 1909, covering the Risca and Tredegar Circuits. The Abercarn Wesleyan Chapel, Darren View, was sold in 1971 to the Salvation Army. Risca St. Johnâ€TMs united with Ebenezer in 1962 to form Trinity. The Risca & Crosskeys Circuit covers the area of the former Crosskeys Primitive Methodist and Risca Wesleyan Methodist Circuits.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Chapel records, including Abercarn, Commercial Road Chapel, 1875-1952; Crosskeys, Gladstone St. Chapel, 1891-1977; Crumlin, Main Rd. Chapel, 1898-1974; Risca, Ebenezer Chapel, 1882-1964; Wattsville, Centenary Chapel, 1907-1971; Tredegar Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, 1864-1895; Crumlin & Llanhilleth Mission, 1898; Risca Wesleyan Methodist Circuit, 1845-1917; West Monmouth Mission, 1909-1929; Abercarn Wesleyan Chapel, Darren View, 1886-1971; Crumlin Hillside, 1934-1978; Llanhilleth, 1913-1958; Machen, 1883-1927; Pontywaun (Crosskeys), 1930-1974; Risca St. Johnâ€TMs, 1897-1978; Risca and Crosskeys Circuit, 1837-1979; records relating to Ty Isaf Mission, 1962-1965; records of disused chapels, 1861-1979; records relating to manses & chapel property, 1886-1973; records relating to Risca Free Church Federal Council, 1947-1978; Risca Temperance & Band of Hope Union, 1935-1954; Risca Sunday School Union, 1944-1958.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Circuit records; and chapel records.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at Gwent Record Office.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Rev. K. Griffin, Superintendent Minister, Church Bungalow, Thistle Way, Ty Sign, Risca, Gent in June 1982.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following source was used in the compilation of this description: Gwent Record Office, Risca and Crosskeys Primitive Methodist Circuit Records, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2006


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwent Archives  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details