ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office
Borough of Caernarfon, records and papers

Reference code(s): GB 0219 XD/1

Held at: Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office

Title: Records and Papers of the Borough of Caernarfon

Short Title: Borough of Caernarfon, records and papers

Creation date(s): 1468-1974

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: To be supplied

Name of creator(s): Caernarfon Borough

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Borough of Caernarfon was awarded its Charter of Incorporation by Edward I in 1284, following his conquest of Gwynedd. The Corporation thus formed remained largely unchanged until 1835, comprising a mayor (in practice the constable of Caernarfon Castle, appointed by the Crown), bailiffs, recorder and constables. During the early 19th century, the Corporation began to make some improvements to the town's infrastructure, including the introduction of a water supply and gas. The Municipal Corporations Act 1835 resulted in the borough being reconstituted. It was subsequently run by a town council, including a Mayor and Aldermen, elected by the ratepayers. The Council also employed officials such as a Clerk, Treasurer and Surveyor. Caernarfon Borough Council was eventually abolished following local government reorganisation in 1974, with its responsibilities being assumed by the new Arfon District Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records relating to the Borough of Caernarfon, 1468-1974, including charters, 1468-1577; court records, 1684-1835; burgess rolls, 1757-1837; financial records, 1781-1835; legal papers, 1732, 1820-1823; records relating to properties and amenities, 1728-1844; papers relating to Parliamentary elections, 1766-1845; petitions, 1708-1821; council, committee and other minutes, 1860-1974; rate books, 1862-1967; Town Clerk's records, 1835-1972; records of the Borough Treasurer, 1837-1974, including correspondence, financial records and mortgages; records of the Borough Engineer and Surveyor, 1775-1972, including deeds, 1775-1923, and correspondence, 1871-1929; records relating to public health, sanitation and regulation of nuisances, 1872-1960; Caernarfon and Anglesey ferry committee records, 1888-1939; records relating to amenities such as the market, fire brigade and gas supply, 1868-1942; records relating to wartime matters, 1911-1950; records relating to the 1911 and 1969 Investitures and other ceremonial occasions, [1840]-1973, including tape recordings, 1950-1973; maps and plans, 1885-1971; records relating to other local authorities, bodies and societies, 1616-1944; and museum objects, [18th century]-1905.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English, Welsh, Latin

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: records of the pre-1835 Borough of Caernarfon; records of the Borough, as reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835; and records of miscellaneous or uncertain provenance.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Caernarfon Record Office, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives. The catalogue is available online.

Detailed catalogue

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: During the Second World War, the Council submitted many papers for salvage. Kenrick Evans, local historian, sorted through this material and retained many important items.

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Pictorial materials deposited by the Town Council are Caernarfon Record Office, XS/1525. Further Town Council records, including minutes, 1835-1864, are in Caernarfon Record Office, XD11.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. The archive contains earlier records accumulated by the reconstituted Town Council.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Caernarfon Record Office, Cofnodion a Phapurau Bwrdeisdref Caernarfon/Records and Papers of the Borough of Caernarfon, catalogue; Dodd, A. H., A History of Caernarvonshire (Wrexham, 1990).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: July 2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Boroughs | Wales | Caernarfon
Caernarfon (Wales) | Politics and government
Caernarfon (Wales). | Borough Council | Archives
Local government | Wales | Caernarfon
Municipal charters | Wales | Caernarfon

Personal names

Corporate names
Caernarfon (Wales) | Borough Council
Caernarvon (Wales : Borough)

Places
Caernarfon (Wales)
Llanbeblig (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Gwynedd Archives: Caernarfon Record Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details