ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Hirael (C.M.) Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS HIR

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Hirael (C.M.) Chapel Records

Short Title: Hirael (C.M.) Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1852-1960

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 24 items

Name of creator(s): The Ministers and Officers of Hirael (C.M.) Chapel, Bangor, Caernarfonshire.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: There is some dispute as to the exact date of establishment of the Calvinist Methodist chapel situated in the area known as Hirael in the city of Bangor, Caernarfonshire. It is said that the first chapel in this area was built in 1843 for the sum of £300. Twenty six years later however, a more convenient location for the chapel was found and the new building was opened in 1870. A gallery was added some years later. The proper name of the chapel is stated to be Eneglaim .
Rev. William Phillips arrived in Bangor to serve as the Minister of Hirael Church as the second world war was breaking out. Born in Rhosllannerchrugog, Denbighshire in 1880 he worked as a miner until the age of 26. He then went into the Ministry and received a calling from the United States where he served at churches in Johnstown and Wales, Wisconsin. He returned to Wales in 1915 and married Elizabeth Jane Jones of Liverpool in the following year. He retired in 1945 but remained prolific, competing in Eisteddfod competitions, contributing to the journal, Y Goleuad and receiving an M.A. in 1947. He died in 1969.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The records of Hirael Chapel consist of minute books of various committee meetings, 1884-1960, the earliest of which includes the history of the Methodist cause in Hirael. In addition, there are collection books, 1852-1949 and accounts, 1907-1941. Amongst these there are accounts of repairs made to the chapel in 1901-1908 and 1921. There is a draft history of Hirael chapel by the Rev. William Phillips and a letter book belonging to the United Churches of Hirael and Caerhun Committee.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: The papers were received at different occasions and have, as a result, been catalogued separately. They have been incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts . The main deposit has been arranged according to record type and then chronologically.

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the archivist.

Finding aids: An item level list is available at the Department of Manuscripts of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 7037, 10235-10239, 11601, 12196-12197, 13924, 16526, 16528, 21095-21106 .

Language codes: wel

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: The source of acquisition of all records is not known. The Rev. William Phillips and Mr J. Rees Roberts of Bangor are recorded as having deposited a few items.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description complied by Elen Wyn Hughes, July 2001

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Bangor

Personal names
Phillips , William , 1880-1969

Corporate names
Hirael Calvinistic Methodist Church (Bangor, Wales)

Places
Bangor (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details