ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Cefn Du Manuscripts

Reference code(s): GB 0222 CEFND

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Cefn Du Manuscripts

Short Title: Cefn Du Manuscripts

Creation date(s): 1878-1928

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 8.3 linear metres

Name of creator(s):

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Until 1928 the Cefn Du Slate Quarry, situated in the parishes of Llanrug and Llanbeblig, was one of the most important of the minor quarries of Caernarvonshire. From 1878 onwards the quarry was one of the three worked by the Llanberis Slate Company Ltd. It pursued its activities until the Company went into liquidation in 1928. Two years later the quarry plant was dismantled and sold by auction and it was at this juncture that an opportunity offered itself to secure the contents of the quarry office.
Previous to the formation of the Llanberis Slate Company, Cefn Du was in the hands of a Glasgow merchant, James Wotherspoon. He claimed to have spent D18,000 upon it since taking over the quarry from the Messrs Stephens in 1875 and to have increased the royalties accruing to the Crown from D105 per annum to D900 per annum in two years. It is to be gathered that this effort had exhausted his capital resources, and it was this fact together with the bad days that then befell the industry generally which led Wotherspoon to seek amalgamation with two adjoining smaller quarries. These - the Goodman and the Cambrian - were worked by T. H. Goodwin Newton of Barrell's Park, Henley in Arden. From the point of view of Cefn Du, amalgamation with these two quarries offered very desirable shipment facilities in the form of access to the siding on the Caernarvon to Llanberis railway. A renewal of the Cefn Du lease was obtained from the Crown and the two parties agreed to merge their interests under the title of the Llanberis Slate Company Ltd. In addition to Wotherspoon and Newton, who became secretary and chairman respectively, John Menzies and W. B. Jeffrey, both of Caernarvon joined the company, one as a managing director and the other as work's manager.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: This collection contains accounts, ledgers, report books, correspondence and miscellaneous papers relating to the Cefn Du Slate Quarry in the parishes of Llanrug and Llanbeblig, Caernarvonshire.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Grouped according to type of document.

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics made at the discretion of the archivist.

Finding aids:

Language codes: english

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: The number of single documents in the collection amounts to over 14,000, but the grouping system adopted with a considerable section of it reduces this number for reference purposes to 759.

Accruals: None expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Presented by Mr Owen Parry M.A.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Porth yr Aur Manuscripts 27069-27200

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Quarries and quarrying | Wales | Gwynedd
Quarries and quarrying | Wales | Llanbeblig
Quarries and quarrying | Wales | Llanrug
Slate industry | Wales | Gwynedd
Slate industry | Wales | Llanbeblig
Slate industry | Wales | Llanrug

Personal names

Corporate names

Places
Llanbeblig (Wales)
Llanrug (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details