ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Porth yr Aur Additional Papers

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS PAAD

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Porth yr Aur Additional Papers

Short Title: Porth yr Aur Additional Papers

Creation date(s): 1519-1830

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 359 items

Name of creator(s): Legal practice at Porth yr Aur, Caernarfon

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: This legal practice founded by Hugh Ellis was originally located at Bangor but moved to Porth yr Aur, Caernarfon around 1790. John Evans, born in 1766, at Llanllyfni, entered into articles with Hugh Ellis in 1789. When the latter died in 1808, John Evans seems to have taken over his practice and developed it into one of the most active practices of the day in north Wales with a very broad clientele. He was administrator of two major estates in the county of Caernarfon for a period, Madryn and Coetmor, and also acted for the Gwynfryn, Vaynol and Glynllifon estates and the Pentir and the Brynkir estates in Caernarvonshire and the Taicroesion estate in Anglesey. He also advised a large number of yeomen farmers in these counties.
John Evans was an important figure in the area, with interests which extended beyond his legal practice into local government administration and the slate quarrying industry in north Wales. After Hugh Ellis' death, John Evans succeeded him as clerk of the magistrates for the Caernarfon district in 1808. In 1810 he was appointed Deputy-Protonotary of the North Wales Circuit, and was deputy sheriff of Caernarfon County in 1811, 1812 and 1821. He opened the Cilgwyn Quarry in 1800 and acted as its managing director. His office at Porth yr Aur, Caernarfon was also the office of the company and he had an interest in the Cefn Du Quarry for a time.
John Evans married Sydney, daughter of the Reverend William Griffith of Rhoscolyn and had a son, John Griffith Evans who served his articles in his father's office but did not succeed to the practice. His marriage, which did not meet his father's approval apparently led to an estrangement between father and son. After his death in 1827 his nephew, Evan Evans who had worked for his uncle for several years, succeeded him but the practice shrank during his short career. Following the death of Evan Evans ca. 1836, the practice, or at least the office, was occupied by R.D. Williams who was succeeded by his son of the same name.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The wide variety of material in this collection, accumulated over four centuries, 1519-1830, reflects the diversity of clients and the broad area of activity of the Porth yr Aur attorneys and their practice, which was active in estates administration, local government and also represented clients in business and religious life.
It consists of legal documents relating to land and estates, documents relating to local government, ecclesiastical affairs and some business records of the practice itself including day books and letters to Hugh Ellis, John and Evan Evans from clients in Caernarfonshire and Anglesey.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material is arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department at the University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 1110, 3654-3868, 3881-3896, 5542-5544

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: A large proportion of this collection was discovered in the attic of a house in Caernarfon in 1941.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: This material is an addition to the main collection of Porth yr Aur Papers also held by the Archives Department at the University of Wales, Bangor, reference numbers: GB 0222/Bangor 74 and HE Archives Hub , reference number: GB 0222 PA

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, September 2001

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Church management | Wales
Clergy | Wales
Estate administration | Wales, North
Legal documents | Wales
Solicitors | Wales | Caernarfon | Archives

Personal names
Ellis , Hugh , d. 1808
Evans , John , 1766-1827

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details