ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Ebenezer Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS EBEN

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Ebenezer Chapel Records

Short Title: Ebenezer Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1837 - 1970

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 26 items

Name of creator(s): Officers and members of Ebenezer Congregational Chapel, Bangor, Wales.


Administrative/Biographical history: A preacher from Pembrokeshire, Daniel Evans, is believed to be the founder of Ebenezer Chapel. He obtained land in Bangor c. 1800 and built a house of worship on the site. The chapel soon found itself in debt but was saved by Mr Arthur Jones who travelled the country collecting money for the cause and in 1810 he was ordained minister at Ebenezer. By 1826 the chapel had been rebuilt and a new schoolroom had also appeared. The membership grew and the congregation gained influence in Bangor. Yet again, a new chapel was built not far from the old site and opened in 1859 in York Place.
In November 1879, a dispute at Ebenezer Congregational Chapel led to the establishment of Pendref Chapel. Over a hundred members left Ebenezer and decided that a new chapel should be built and in June 1882 the opening ceremony was held at Pendref, situated on the High Street in Bangor.
Today, Pendref chapel is a flourishing cause, whilst Ebenezer chapel has been converted into flats.


Scope and content/abstract: A collection of chapel records consisting of minute books of various committees; accounts; correspondence and registers. There is a baptismal register, 1837 - 1965; two Sunday school registers, 1895 - 1931; and a Pew Rent Book, 1939 - 1966.
There are copies of Ebenezer Chapel trust deeds, 1844 and 1859 as well as tenancy agreements. There are miscellaneous papers also. An album presented to Llew Tegid in 1926, deacon, secretary and treasurer of Ebenezer Chapel; and papers belonging to the case and further opinion relating to the appointment of new trustees for the old and new Ebenezer chapels as well as their sale, 1968.


Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: The records were received at different occasions and as a result have been catalogued separately and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts. There is no apparent system of arrangement.

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: An item level catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 13930 - 13932, 17661 - 17662, 22864, 23075 - 23087, 23272 - 23275, 24351, 26005 - 26006

Language codes: wel eng


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Three items are recorded as having been donated by Mr Ernest Roberts of Bangor.


Related material: For further related material see Pendref Chapel Records , Papers of Llew Tegid and Rev. Ellis Jones, Bangor Papers also held at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Fonds level descriptions of these collections are available on the Archives Hub


Note: Description amended by Elen Wyn Hughes, September 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004

Congregational churches | Wales | Bangor
Congregationalists | Wales | Bangor

Personal names
Llew Tegid , 1851-1928

Corporate names
Capel Pendref (Bangor, Wales)
Ebenezer (Church: Bangor, Wales)

Bangor (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details