ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Twrgwyn Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS TWR

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Twrgwyn Chapel Records

Short Title: Twrgwyn Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1854 - 1999

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 90 items

Name of creator(s): Officers and members of Twrgwyn Chapel.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Calvinist Methodist Chapel of Twrgwyn is situated on Holyhead Road, Bangor, North Wales.
A Sunday School was up and running in 1850 in the upper Bangor area, in the workshop of John Parry, builder. However, at a meeting of the Tabernacl church members in Bangor, it was decided that a chapel was needed to house this school and by May 1854, Twrgwyn chapel had been erected, and in the following year a chapel house and school house were also raised. Although Twrgwyn chapel did not initially employ a minister, Rev. John Phillips was the most prominent character behind in the establishment of the chapel. In 1864 it was decided that the chapel should have a gallery, and the plans of Mr Kennedy, architect were accepted in 1865.
The members of the Tabernacl church joined the Twrgwyn congregation in 1968 when the Tabernacl closed. The current minister of Twrgwyn is Rev. Glyn Tudwal Jones.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: This extensive collection of chapel records consists of items such as a Chapel Register, 1887 - 1905, an incomplete series of Annual Reports, 1886 - 1984 and a Pew Rent Book, 1894 - 1933. The Membership Books date from 1867 - 1885.
The Accounts include an early Treasurer's Account Book, 1854 - 1865; a bundle of collection books, 1898 - 1930; monthly collection books, as early as 1854 and various other accounts and records of income and expenditure. There are even details of the cost of building the first chapel.
There are minute books, 1854 - 1865, which include details of sermons and preachers and collections, with a reference to the opening of the chapel. Numerous other minute books belong to various Twrgwyn committees and officials e.g. Twrgwyn Chapel Choir, 1922-1929.
The Sunday School records include accounts, membership books, and minute books.
Other miscellaneous material are lists of members and membership ticket books, 1955 - 1993; bundles of correspondence and papers regarding the maintenance of the chapel, 1982 - 1995; general correspondence; a note book with lists of preachers, ca 1870 - 1890; 3 membership tickets, 1981; and a programme of plays held at Twrgwyn in 1984.
The collection also contains a Minute Book of the Bangor Free Church Council, 1910-1920; notes made on sermons preached at Twrgwyn and Tabernacl Chapels, Bangor, 1862; Treasurer's Book of the North Wales Calvinistic Methodist Ministers' Fund, 1879 - 1904 and accounts of the Caernarfon and Bangor Cymdeithasfa, 1905 - 1913.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: The records were received at different occasions and have been incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts. They have been arranged according to record type and chronologically where possible.

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: An item level typescript catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 215, 1940 - 1974, 5282 - 5289, 5541, 7371, 8241 - 8242, 11516, 13535, 32831, 32887, 38796 - 38823, 38954 - 38963

Language codes: wel eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Accruals have been received but have not been catalogued since more material is expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: The most recent deposits were made by the chapel secretary, Dr R. Gwyn Davies of Bangor.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: For other material of relevance see General Collection Bangor Manuscripts, 5425 - 5426, 5868 and the Records of the Tabernacl Church, Bangor held at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Elen Wyn Hughes, October 2001.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Bangor
Methodist church buildings | Wales | Bangor

Personal names

Corporate names
Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Church (Bangor, Wales)
Twrgwyn Calvinistic Methodist Church (Bangor, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details