ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Cynhaiarn Manuscripts.

Reference code(s): GB 0222 CYN

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Cynhaiarn Manuscripts.

Short Title: Cynhaiarn Manuscripts.

Creation date(s): 1598-1936

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 2.5 linear metres

Name of creator(s): Jones and Jones Solicitors

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: These are papers that were accumulated by the Messrs. Jones and Jones, solicitors of Portmadoc, North Wales. The collection has been named after the solicitor Thomas Jones, otherwise known as Cynhaiarn, as he was the most outstanding personality amongst his predecessors. A bard as well as a lawyer, Cynhaiarn was born on the 10 February 1839, the son of John and Jane Jones, Pen-lon, Pwllheli. At 13 years of age he began working in the solicitors office of Mr John Humphrey Jones in Portmadoc. In 1867 he qualified as a solicitor, and became a Registrar of the County Court at Portmadoc and Ffestiniog, and town clerk of Cricieth. Cynhaiarn however was best known as a writer of verse and a satiric piece of his gained the first prize at the Rhyl National Eisteddfod in 1892. He died on the 22 October 1916 and was buried in Deneio, Pwllheli.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: A collection of 585 items, containing deeds and documents relating to properties in Aber, Aberdaron (Methlan Estate), Borth-y-gest (Independent and C.M. Chapels), Caernarfon, Llanbeblig, Llanfihangel-y-Pennant and Penmorfa (Brithdir and Cefncoch), Llaniestyn (Aber-y-wanc), Llannor (Bodegroes), Llanwnda, Llanystumdwy (Independent Chapel lease) and Portmadoc (references to descendants of W. Alexander Maddocks), co. Caernarfon; Barmouth, Dolgellau (Gilfachwydd and Aberddawen), Llanbedr (Tyddyn Du and Bryn yr Iwrch), Llanfair (Taltreuddyn Estate), Llanfrothen (Brondanw Uchaf, Brongarnedd - Baptist Chapel), Llanfrothen and Llandecwyn (Carreg Fawr and Hafod y Mynydd), and Morfa Mawr, co. Merioneth; Holt and Derwen (Ynysfor Estate), co. Denbigh; Cwm (Rhuallt and Plas-yn-cwm Estate), Hendregaerwys, Trefowen and Tremeirchion, co.Flint; and Llanbeblig, Llandygwnning, Llanfair y Pennant, Llanwnda, Llanfair-yn-neubwll, Dolgellau and Llanaber, cos. Caernarfon, Anglesey and Meirioneth (Ymlwch and Cefn Coch Estates).
The collection also contains many wills, amongst which are those of Thomas Jones, Ellis Owen of Cefnymeusydd (1867), John Evans of Pentrefelin (1862), Rev. William Ambrose ('Emrys'), [Dr] David Thomas Jones, herbalist, of Hafod yr Esgob, Llanllyfni (1888) and William Clark Russell, novelist and writer on nautical matters (1806). Also included are papers relating to the Snowdon Slate Quarry Company, the Maenofferen Slate Quarries, Oakley and Diphwys Slate Quarries and the New Rhosydd Slate Quarry Company, 1873-1917; to the Gorseddau Junction and Portmadoc Railways, 1871-88, and to the Portmadoc, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway, 1904-5. Two groups of letters refer to the domestic troubles of Dr.Griffith Griffiths of Taltreuddyn, 1869-89.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: According to subject and then chronologically. Additional documents numbered 370-585, have been cross-referenced.

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics made at the discretion of the archivist.

Finding aids: Catalogue at series/item level

Language codes: english and latin

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: None expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Gwyndaf Williams, Esq., solicitor of Portmadoc c.1940.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Bodrhyddan MSS

Publication note: Davies, Edward Hanes Porthmadog, ei chrefydd a'i henwogion , (Caernarfon, Cwmni y Cyhoeddwyr Cymreig (Cyf), [1913]). Jones, John, (Myrddin Fardd), Enwogion Sir Gaernarfon , (Caernarfon, 1922). The Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940 , under the Auspices of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, (London, 1959). Access Points

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Legal documents | Wales
Legal documents | Wales | Gwynedd
Quarries and quarrying | Wales | Gwynedd
Railways | Wales | Gwynedd
Religious institutions | Wales | Gwynedd

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details