ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Wern Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS WER

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Wern Chapel Records

Short Title: Wern Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1808 - 1919

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 11 items

Name of creator(s): Members and officers of the Wern Congregational Chapel, Wrexham, Denbighshire.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Services are no longer held at the Wern chapel according to an article dated 1955. The chapel is situated in the parish of Wrexham, in an area well known for its rich mineral resources. A remote area with rough and inaccessible roads and a thin population where the chapel members travelled far and wide to attend services.
The first minister of the Wern was William Williams who was ordained in October 1808. A new chapel had been built the previous year. There he stayed for 30 years until 1837 when he received a calling from Liverpool. He was followed by Rev. John Parry of Machynllech, 1840-1845 and he was succeeded by William Lloyd in 1846.
In 1868 a schoolhouse was built and in 1872 a house for the minister.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: A collection consisting of two baptismal registers, 1808-1892, which together record a total of 1866 christenings. They record the name of the child, the father and mother, the occupation of the father, date of birth and christening and the name of the minister that officiated at ceremony. Also included is a burial register, 1822-1890; a Sunday school register, 1875-1881and a pew rent ledger, 1881-1892. A chapel register, 1849-1909 contains the names of chapel members and other details and records a significant increase in the number of members in 1860 as a result of the religious revival of 1859. There are also financial records, 1854 - 1919 e.g. weekly contributions.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Arranged according to record type and chronologically. They have been incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: An item level typescript catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 11774 - 11784

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Item 11774 donated by Mr E. Edwards, Coedpoeth and remaining documents donated by Rev. Glyn Thomas of Wrexham.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Publication note: Hughes, H. E., 'Bedyddlyfr Williams o'r Wern', Y Dysgedydd, August 1955

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Elen Wyn Hughes, December 2001.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Congregationalists | Wales | Wrexham
Religion | Wales

Personal names
Williams , William , 1781-1840

Corporate names
Wern Congregational Chapel (Wrexham, Wales)

Places
Wrexham (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details