ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire Deeds

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS ADFD

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire Deeds

Short Title: Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire Deeds

Creation date(s): 1482-1806

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 69 items

Name of creator(s): Various property holders in Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The counties of Anglesey, Denbighshire and Flintshire in north Wales, have undergone significant administrative change, as a result of local government reorganisation. In the case of the latter two counties, this has involved redefinition of boundaries as well as name changes.
The historic county of Denbighshire was abolished in the reorganisation of 1974, and was absorbed into the newly created county of Clwyd, which was itself abolished in 1996, after a brief existence of 22 years. The reorganisation in 1996 also restored the administrative independence of the historic county of Anglesey [Mon], from Gwynedd. At the same time, four new authorities were created, known as Denbighshire, Flintshire, Wrexham County Borough and Conwy County Borough. The boundaries of the newly created Denbighshire and Flintshire were quite different from those of the historic counties of the same names. Material in this collection refers to parishes in the historic counties, that is, as they were constituted before 1974.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: This collection comprises deeds relating to properties in Anglesey (1764-1782), Denbighshire (1482-1806) and Flintshire (1574-1743). It includes property relating to the Evans family in the parishes of Llanddeusant, Llanbabo, Llangristiolus and Llaneilian in Anglesey; the Lloyd family of Penporchell, and others in the parishes of Llanefydd and Llansannan in Denbighshire and property relating to Robert Evans of Brynford, the Hanmer family of Halkyn, and others in the parishes of Halkyn, Holywell, Northop and Ysgeifiog in Flintshire.
Also includes an indenture of apprenticeship (item number: 17046) by Hugh Dolben of Segrwyd, Denbighshire (1604).

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material is arranged according to location, then in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 17023-17091

Language codes: eng lat

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, December 2001.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Deeds | Wales | Anglesey
Deeds | Wales | Denbighshire
Deeds | Wales | Flintshire

Personal names
Dolben , Hugh , of Segrwyd
Evans , Robert , fl. 1580 , of Brynford

Corporate names

Places
Brynford (Wales)
Halkyn (Wales)
Llanbabo (Wales)
Llanddeusant (Anglesey, Wales)
Llaneilian (Wales)
Llangristiolus (Wales)
Llannefydd (Wales)
Llansannan (Wales)
Northop (Wales)
Penporchell (Wales)
Segrwyd (Denbighshire, Wales)
Ysceifiog (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details