ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Y Graig Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS GRA

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Y Graig Chapel Records

Short Title: Y Graig Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1880 - 1987 May 22

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 14 items

Name of creator(s): Officers and members of Y Graig Chapel (C.M.), Penrhosgarnedd, Bangor.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Y Graig Chapel is situated in an area now known as Penrhosgarnedd in Bangor, north Wales. The chapel was opened in 1814, even though Calvinistic Methodist meetings had been held in the area since 1778 in various households. It was the first dissenting chapel to be built between Bangor and Caernarfon.
The number of members at Y Graig grew very slowly, with the chapel having only 19 members in 1827. Sporadically, it lost members, with many leaving to form their own chapels e.g. in 1840, 20 members left to form Bethania Chapel, in Y Felinheli.
By 1852, although the number of members had not grown dramatically, the cause had a large Sunday School and felt the need to rebuild the chapel. In twenty years, in 1872, a new chapel would be built yet again.
Y Graig chapel is still open today. For further administrative details, consult Etifeddu sylwedd : hanes Capel y Graig, Penrhosgarnedd 1814-1972 by Gwilym Arthur Jones (1972)

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Chapel register, 1895-1913 along with minute and account books, 1880-1958 of Y Graig chapel. A photocopy of an essay on the history of Y Graig chapel which appears to have been written in 1907, with additions made until 1914. Also, a photocopy of a book listing the topics of sermons at Y Graig chapel and elsewhere made by Griffith Jones of Bodargraig, 1880-1889. The most recent items are two programmes, one of a performance of three short plays by Cymdeithas Undebol Y Graig and another of a St Davids Day service held at the chapel, 1987.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Arranged according to record type and chronologically. They have been incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: An item level catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 18595-18604, 20025, 28282, 35836, 35861

Language codes: wel

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Amongst the Papers of Rev. John Henry Williams, Canwy there is a collection book belonging to Y Graig Chapel of contributions to various causes, 1924-1942; and also, a few related items were presented by Dr Gwilym A. Jones. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 23474, 34115-34117 . See also Edern Manuscripts for miscellaneous papers relating to the chapel, 1843-1869.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Elen Wyn Hughes, December 2001.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Calvinistic Methodists | Wales | Bangor | History

Personal names

Corporate names
Y Graig chapel | (Penrhosgarnedd, Wales)

Places
Bangor (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details