ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Records of English Congregational Church, Bangor

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS ECC

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Records of English Congregational Church, Bangor

Short Title: Records of English Congregational Church, Bangor

Creation date(s): 1857-1972

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 60 items

Name of creator(s): Officers and members of the English Congregational Church, Bangor


Administrative/Biographical history: The setting up of a Congregational church in Bangor to facilitate the needs of the English speakers was instigated by Daniel Williams of Garth and Robert Jones, a draper (who later moved to Wrexham). They felt there was a need for public worship in the English language, particularly with the influx of English speaking visitors during the summer months. On the 16th February 1845 provision for services and a Sunday school was made at the Rechabite Hall, in lower Bangor, which were well attended. Later, a chapel was built which officially opened in 1856. In April of that year Reverend John Lewis became minister followed by Reverend William Creed, who commenced his ministry in 1860. Reverend H. Oliver Evans (d. 1957) was the last minister of the English Congregational Church, Bangor. The final meeting of the church was held on 25 July 1964.


Scope and content/abstract: Comprises bound record books and loose material including: Historical account of the church by Reverend John Lewis, 1856 Baptism and burial registers Correspondence relating to various matters including fundraising events Committee minutes Accounts, balance sheets, receipts and vouchers, cash and bank pass books Roll of members, names and numbers Photographs of ministers and officials Obituary notices of Sir John Edward Lloyd (1861-1947) and Rev. H. Oliver Evans Accounts of the Ladies Church Social (formerly Ladies Working Society), 1914-72 Miscellaneous printed items including annual reports


Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material was received on separate occasions, arranged according to type, then chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 13832-13845, 16979-17022, 18319, 25406

Language codes: eng


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Some material, items: 13832-13845 were deposited by Mrs Eluned Garmon Jones. Other material, items: 16979-17022, was deposited in April 1967, in accordance with a resolution passed at the final meeting of the church in 1964.



Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, March 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004

Church records and registers | Wales | Bangor

Personal names
Evans , H. Oliver , d. 1957
Lloyd , John Edward , 1861-1947 , Sir
Williams , Daniel , of Garth (Bangor , Gwynedd)

Corporate names
English Congregational Church (Bangor, Wales)


List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details