ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Park Hill Chapel Records

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS PARK

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Park Hill Chapel Records

Short Title: Park Hill Chapel Records

Creation date(s): 1881 - 1977

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 45 items

Name of creator(s): Officers and members of Park Hill (C.M.) Chapel, Bangor.

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Park Hill Calvinist Methodist Chapel was situated in Lonpopty Road in Bangor, Caernarfonshire.
The original Lonpopty Chapel, built in 1804, was the first Calvinist Methodist chapel in Bangor. Within about 15 years, the chapel was deemed too small for the congregation and the members moved to the Tabernacl Chapel to worship.
By 1883 a new chapel had been built and was opened in August. The church flourished and its membership grew in number and in 1903 it was decided that another, larger chapel should be built which could hold 600 people.
The records testify that the chapel was still open in 1977. However, by today, the chapel building has been converted into flats.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The records consist of 2 chapel registers, 1881-1954; numerous account books ranging in date from 1886 - 1977 which include pew rent books, 1893-1977 and Sunday school accounts, ca. 1880-1947; minute books, 1881-1951.
Also miscellaneous papers such as a plans, sections and block plan of the site, annual report for 1967, agenda for a district meeting, 1909, an essay on the history of the cause by R. W. Hughes, a file of papers relating to a Miss Catherine Hughes and a house called Tor View in Penchwintan Road, Bangor in which Parkhill Chapel had an estate in remainder, 1942-1943.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts

Conditions governing access: Open to all users.

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: An item level typescript catalogue is available at the Archives Department of the University of Wales Bangor. Reference numbers : General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts 25397, 31303, 32912-32954

Language codes: wel eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Items 32912-32954 donated by the officers of Parkhill Chapel, September 1984. Item 25397 deposited by Rev. Richard Roberts.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Elen Wyn Hughes, June 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Church records and registers | Wales | Bangor

Personal names

Corporate names
Park Hill Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (Bangor, Wales)

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details