ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Papers relating to St. Beuno's Church, Clynnog

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS BEUN

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Papers relating to St. Beuno's Church, Clynnog

Short Title: Papers relating to St. Beuno's Church, Clynnog

Creation date(s): 1849-1940

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 4 items

Name of creator(s): Charles Lynam

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Clynnog is a large parish to the west of Caernarfonshire, north Wales. The parish church and neighbouring chapel of St. Beuno are located in the village of Clynnog-fawr, a quarter mile from the coast in the south west of the parish. The church mostly dates from the late 15th and early 16th centuries. The west tower and detached chapel of St Beuno are probably early 16th century. Foundations of earlier buildings, including the original chapel of St Beuno, have been discovered beneath and near the present chapel. It is likely that it is the site of the 7th century monastery of St Beuno.
Charles Lynam was a Fellow of the Society of Antiquarians.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Comprises: A series of drawings and sketches in ink and water colour of various parts of the church, both internal and external, made by Charles Lynam in 1895 (1 bundle) Notes of a paper read by Charles Lynam in Clynnog Church, 21 August 1897 Notes by Charles Lynam of a paper on Clynnog Church read by the Rev. H.J. Longueville Jones to a meeting of the Cambrian Archaeological Association at Aberystwyth in 1849 File of correspondence, 1898-1940. The correspondents are Charles Lynam, Edward H. Owen, Fellow of the Society of Antiquarians, Ty Coch, Caernarfon; H.D. Astley, Swaffam, Norfolk; Edward W. Badger, A. Hilton John, Stoke-on-Trent; and the Rev. John Davies, vicar of Clynnog.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material is arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department, University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 18617-18620

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Also held at the Archives Department of the University of Wales, Bangor are the Rowland John Hughes Plans . A collection level description is available on the Archives Hub .

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, May 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Church buildings | Wales | Gwynedd

Personal names
Lynam , Charles , 1829-1921

Corporate names
St Beuno (Church: Clynnog-fawr, Wales)

Places
Clynnog-fawr (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details