ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
George Steward Documents

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS GSD

Held at: Bangor University

Title: George Steward Documents

Short Title: George Steward Documents

Creation date(s): 1766 September 10 - 1924 September 22

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 14 items

Name of creator(s): George Steward


Administrative/Biographical history: George Steward of Maesgeirchan, Bangor, carried out house clearance work in the north Wales area. During the 1980's and early 1990's he brought documents to the archives department, which he acquired from derelict buildings, that were otherwise destined for the rubbish dump.


Scope and content/abstract: Comprises deeds and documents relating to the following properties in Anglesey: Penbryn issa in the parish of Llanallgo. Parties involved: Thomas Williams and Richard Hughes (1766); Llain y storws Yn glan y mor at Moelfre in Llanallgo. Parties: Richard Hughes and David William (1788); Cae'r-coed and Tyddyn y gors in parish of Llandegfan. Parties: Owen Williams and John Price (1810); Gallt y Crippil, Penbryn Issa in Llanallgo. Parties: William Hughes and William Jones (1813); property at Old Post Road, Bodffordd in parish of Heneglwys. Parties: William Williams and William Jones (1858); Llain Moelfro in Llanallgo. Parties: William Williams and William Hughes (1868); report and valuation of Pen y bont, Red Wharf Bay, by William E. Jones, Surveyor and Valuer (1908); Gafrogwy-fach in the parish of Llangwyllog. Party involved: Richard Hugh Williams (1921); Steuben, Tyddyn Labut and Ty Talcen and New York in Heneglwys, 2 items. Parties involved: London Joint City and Midland Bank Ltd, Owen Jones and John Stewart Laurie (1921); land formerly part of farm called Gwynhinger in parish of Llanbedr-goch. Parties involved: Winifred Jessie Mills, John Stewart Laurie and Harry Smith Fairhurst (1923); property at Traeth Bychan Quarry. Parties involved Walter Church Hopwood, Robert Gardner and the Anglesey Stone Company Ltd. (1924).
Also includes: bound volume: The Illustrated London News, January 6 - June 30, 1849. It contains prints and descriptions of the Britannia Bridge, pp 24-26, 440-442; composite volume containing documents relating to the Welsh Granite Company and its quarries at Trefor, Nefyn and Pistyll in Caernarfonshire, 1864-1911.


Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material is arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department, University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 33807-33818, f 33961, 36015


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: George Steward


Publication note: Illustrated London News, January 6 - June 30, 1849.


Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, May 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004

Deeds | Wales | Bodffordd
Deeds | Wales | Llanallgo
Deeds | Wales | Llanbedr-goch
Deeds | Wales | Llandegfan
Deeds | Wales | Llangwyllog
Deeds | Wales | Moelfre

Personal names
Steward , George

Corporate names
Anglesey Stone Company
Illustrated London News
Traeth Bychan Quarry
Welsh Granite Company


List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details