ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Bala-Bangor Manuscripts

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BALAB

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Bala-Bangor Manuscripts

Short Title: Bala-Bangor Manuscripts

Creation date(s): 1826-1967

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 4 linear metres

Name of creator(s):

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The history of the Bala-Bangor College is a complex one, which begins in 1842 with the establishment of the Independent College in Bala, Merionethshire. By the 1850's the nature and quality of education being received at the College was under fire and a new constitution was drafted which led to a rift between members. For a while, the Independents had two colleges in Bala - one for the old constitution and one for the new. Then in 1885 the new constitution college received a gift of £1500 from Samuel Morley on the condition that it moved to Bangor, co. Caernarfon. By 1886 the college had moved to a house on College Road in Bangor known as The Poplars and from then on the 2 colleges operated separately. In 1889 John Rylands from Lancashire left £5000 in his will to the Bala College, but it was not too clear which college was to benefit. Luckily, the gift became a means of uniting both colleges. Eventually, in 1892, the department in Bala was moved to Bangor. The new united college was named Bala-Bangor and in time moved from The Poplars to a building at the bottom of Ffriddoedd Road, Bangor, which was once three private houses.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: A collection of 297 items, regarding various individuals and matters associated with the Bala-Bangor College. They include registers and account books of chapels; (Rev.) William Ambrose's (Emrys) Manuscripts; notebooks of notes and/or sermons; manuscript copies of sermons; diaries; pictures; college registers; bank books; papers relating to Cilgwyn Chapel; papers relating to Rhaeadr Gwy; a file of papers concerning the attitude of the students towards military obligation; letters; papers of the Headmasters Thomas Rees and John Morgan Jones and of the Rev. R. H. Williams.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: According to subject or person

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics made at the discretion of the archivist.

Finding aids: A catalogue at item and series level

Language codes: welsh/english

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Accruals: Additional documents have been received but have not yet been scheduled.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred to University of Wales, Bangor Library in 1970.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Publication note: Tomos Roberts, 'Democratiaeth Beryglus - Brwydr y Ddau Gyfansoddiad', Y Cofiadur , no. 61, May 1997, pp.3-11.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Theological seminaries | Wales

Personal names

Corporate names

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details