ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Holyhead Road Labour Accounts

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS SLAA

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Holyhead Road Labour Accounts

Short Title: Holyhead Road Labour Accounts

Creation date(s): 1819-1836

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 2 items

Name of creator(s): Holyhead Road Building Administrators

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Between 1815 and 1830, under pressure to improve transport and communication between London and Dublin, Parliament passed a series of acts with the aim of improving and building roads. The 1815 Act provided for the establishment of a commission to oversee the improvement of the Holyhead Road, which appointed Thomas Telford as engineer. The north Wales section of this road was in particular need of reconstruction necessitating the organisation of local workers and equipment.
It was decided as work was being undertaken in 1819 to transfer authority for maintaining the road between Shrewsbury and Holyhead from the Turnpike Trusts to the Parliamentary Turnpike Commission. In 1823 the commission that had been set up in 1815 merged with a larger commission with a wider range of responsibilities which lasted until 1833 when its powers were transferred to the Department of Woods, Forests and Land Revenues. The Parliamentary Turnpike Commission was merged with the Department in 1840.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Accounts for labour and facilities etc for the building of the Holyhead Road in north Wales during the years 1819-1820 and 1831-1836. Includes details of county, names of farms, names of occupiers, annual rent, total number of days which the occupiers were obliged to contribute towards the construction of the road, number of days worked etc. Entries relate to Llandygái, Llanllechid, Betws-y-coed, Ysbyty Ifan, Corwen, Llanefydd, Bryn Ucha, Llanrwst, Pentrefoelas, Llanrhychwyn and Bangor etc.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material is arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department, University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 866-867

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, July 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Construction workers | Wales, North
Roads | Accounting | Great Britain
Roads | Great Britain | Maintenance and repair

Personal names

Corporate names
Holyhead Road Building Administrators

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details