ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects



[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Bangor University
Mona Mine Papers

Reference code(s): GB 0222 BMSS MMP

Held at: Bangor University

Title: Mona Mine Papers

Short Title: Mona Mine Papers

Creation date(s): 1787-1865

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 26 items

Name of creator(s): Mona Mine Company


Administrative/Biographical history: Copper was rediscovered at Parys Mountain between 1761 and 1768 on the estate of Sir Nicholas Bayly (1707-1782) of Plas Newydd, who owned Cerrig-y-bleiddia Farm, on the east of the hill and also had a share in Parys Farm on the western part. A legal dispute between Sir Nicholas Bayly and the other owners of Parys Farm resulted in the engagement of solicitor Thomas Williams (1737-1802) of Llanidan. In 1778 Sir Nicholas Bayly leased his share in the Parys Mine to a Macclesfield company in which Thomas Williams was partner. By 1785, the lease had run out and Sir Nicholas' son and heir, Henry Bayly, Earl of Uxbridge (1744-1812) went into partnership with Thomas Williams to form the Mona Mine Company. Production began to decline around 1850 although it continued until 1883 and ore recovery carried on into the twentieth century on a small scale.


Scope and content/abstract: Comprises material relating to Mona Mine Company: Correspondence between the Earl of Uxbridge and Thomas Williams, 1787-1800 Letters from S. Taylor to John Price and William Cary, mainly about the Stanley enterprise near Liverpool, 1798-1800 Photocopies of copper accounts, Parys Mine, 1782-1793 and Mona Mine, 1786-1793 Accounts, 1782-1800 Ledgers, Mona Mine Company and Mona Smelting Works, etc., 1818-1865 List of arrears due to the Mona Mine Company with a rental of their estate, 1802-1812


Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement: Material was received on separate occasions, arranged in chronological order and incorporated into the General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts .

Conditions governing access: Open to all users

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright conditions apply. Reprographics are made at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids: Item level word-processed list is available at the Archives Department, University of Wales, Bangor. Reference numbers: General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 880, 3010-3032, 15365-15366

Language codes: eng


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:


Related material: Also held at the Archives Department of the University of Wales, Bangor are the Mona Mine Records (Plas Newydd Papers) and the Peckover, Burrill and Owen Papers . Collection level descriptions are available on the Archives Hub. Other related material is held at the University including reference numbers General Collection of Bangor Manuscripts: 15161, 27537, 33223, 33977 .


Note: Description compiled by Anne Lenaghan, August 2002.

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004

Business records | Wales | Anglesey
Copper mines and mining | Wales | Anglesey
Mines and mineral resources | Wales | Anglesey
Mona Mine Company | Archives

Personal names
Paget , Henry Bayly , 1744-1812 , Earl of Uxbridge
Williams , Thomas , 1737-1802

Corporate names
Mona Mine Company

Amlwch (Wales)
Parys Mountain (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Bangor University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details