ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
Brecon Borough, records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/BR

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: Brecon Borough Records

Short Title: Brecon Borough, records

Creation date(s): 1582-1974

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.72 cubic metres (36 boxes)

Name of creator(s): Brecon Borough

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The borough of Brecon, Brecknockshire, grew up near the mouth of the River Honddu. The castle there was built about 1093 by Bernard de Neufmarche, conqueror of the lordship of Brycheiniog. The borough was first chartered by Humphrey de Bohun, Lord of Brycheiniog, between 1277 and 1282. The borough then extended only as far as its own walls until it was rechartered in 1555. Thereafter it included part of the ecclesiastical parishes of St John the Evangelist with the chapelry of St Mary and of St David (Llanfaes) and also took in the detached Trecastle Ward, ten miles west of the town. The Municipal Corporations Act 1835 resulted in the borough being reconstituted. It was subsequently run by a Borough Council, comprising the Mayor, four Aldermen and 12 Councillors, all of whom were elected by the ratepayers. The Council also employed officials such as a Clerk and Treasurer and Rating Officer, and acting as an Urband Sanitary Authority. As a result of the Local Government Act 1972 the borough was abolished in 1974 and its powers assumed by Montgomeryshire District Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of Brecon Borough, 1582-1974, including orders, petitions, accounts, bonds, copies of charters and evidences, 1667-1807; minutes, 1808-1974; Urban Sanitary Authority minutes, 1871-1901; committee minutes, 1867-1955; Clerk's papers, 1887-1974; legal papers 1682-1852; volume of election deeds, 1677-1885; court leet book, 1831-1851; books of oaths and acceptance of offices, [1830s]-1973; Honorary Freedoms of the Borough, 1891-1969; burial board records, 1895-1954; fire brigade records, 1938-1941; war-time records, 1936-1946; Treasurer's records, 1899-1954; rating and valuation records, [1917]-1962; parish vestry minutes, 1826-1925; Local Board of Health minutes, 1850-1871; deeds, leases and bonds relating to Corporation property in Brecon, 1582-1805; and Edmund Jones' Charity records, [19th century]-1945.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: minutes etc.; Urban Sanitary Authority; committees; Clerk; Parliamentary elections; Corporation property; judicial records; Corporation offices; Honorary Freedoms; charities; Burial Board; fire brigade; police; war-time records; printed papers and miscellanea; Treasurer; Rating; parish administration; Local Board of Health; and miscellanea.

Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Brecon Town Council and Brecknock Borough, 1984, and Brecknock Borough, 1989.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: The original royal charter of incorporation of the Borough of Brecon is held at NLW (NLW Rolls 276). There are further records relating to the borough in Powys County Archives Serice, Brecon Museum Papers and Breconshire County Council papers.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Brecon Borough, catalogue; Dodd, A. H., A History of Caernarvonshire (Wrexham, 1990); GENUKI website (www.genuki.org.uk), viewed 4 February 2005.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Boroughs | Wales | Powys
Brecon (Wales : Borough) | Archives
Deeds | Wales | Brecon
Local government | Wales | Brecon

Personal names

Corporate names
Brecon (Wales : Borough)
Brecon (Wales) | Borough Council

Places
Brecon (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details