ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/RD/FP

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council Records

Short Title: Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council, records

Creation date(s): 1961-1966

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.06 cubic metres (3 volumes)

Name of creator(s): Vaynor (Faenor) and Penderyn Rural District Council

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council, Brecknockshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Vaynor (Faenor), Penderyn and Ystradfellte. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman, elected for three years, and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer, Medical Officer of Health and Surveyor. Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation and its functions were assumed by Brecknock Borough Council, Powys, and Merthyr Tydfil and Cynon Valley Borough Councils, Mid Glamorgan.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Minutes of Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council, 1961-1966.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged chronologically

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Brecknock Borough Council, 1989.

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: Further records are in Powys County Archives Service, B/C/P. A 1955 Grant of Arms is in Glamorgan Record Office, Vaynor and Penderyn Rural District Council.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Vaynor [Faenor] and Penderyn Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); HTV, The Wales Yearbook 1995 (Cardiff, 1995).

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Local government | Wales | Powys
Vaynor and Penderyn (Wales). | Rural District Council | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
Vaynor and Penderyn (Wales) | Rural District Council

Places
Vaynor and Penderyn (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details