ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
New Radnor Rural District Council, records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/RD/NR

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: New Radnor Rural District Council Records

Short Title: New Radnor Rural District Council, records

Creation date(s): 1906-1974

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: 0.13 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): New Radnor Rural District Council

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: New Radnor Rural District Council, Radnorshire, was created under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1894 and comprised the parishes of Colfa, Ednol, Evenjobb, Gladestry, Glasgwm, Harpton and Wolfpits, Kinnerton, Salford and Badland, Llandegley, Llanfihangel Nant Melan, Michaelchurch-on-Arrow, Newchurch, New Radnor, Old Radnor and Burlingjobb, Tre-wern and Gwaethla, Walton and Womaston, and the former borough of New Radnor. The Council comprised councillors and a chairman and originally took over responsibility for local sanitation from the local sanitary authorities. The Council's responsibilities included sanitary services, sewerage, refuse collection, maintaining local roads, cemeteries and parks, licensing of public entertainments, water supply and housing. Rural District Councils were administered by a number of committees and by appointed officers including a Clerk, Treasurer and Rating Officer. New Radnor RDC was abolished in 1974 following local government reorganisation, being absorbed into Radnorshire District Council.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of New Radnor Rural District Council, 1906-1974, comprising minutes, 1906-1974; and general ledger, 1964-1974.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Clerk; and Treasurer.

Conditions governing access: Powys Archive Office restrictions, relating to data protection, apply

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Radnorshire District Council, 1992.

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, New Radnor Rural District Council, catalogue; Jackson, W. Eric, The Structure of Local Government in England and Wales (London: Longmans, 1949); Hey, David, Oxford Dictionary of Local and Family History (Oxford, 1997); Richards, Melville, Welsh Administrative and Territorial Units (Cardiff, 1969); Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 9 February 2005.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Local government | Wales | Powys
New Radnor (Wales) | Politics and government
New Radnor (Wales). | Rural District Council | Archives

Personal names

Corporate names
New Radnor (Wales) | Rural District Council

Places
New Radnor (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details