ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
Vaughan and Vaughan, Breconshire deeds

Reference code(s): GB 0223 B/D/VV

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: Vaughan and Vaughan Collection of Breconshire Deeds

Short Title: Vaughan and Vaughan, Breconshire deeds

Creation date(s): 1671-1974

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: (288 items)

Name of creator(s): Vaughan and Vaughan of Builth Wells, Solicitors

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Vaughan and Vaughan are solicitors based in Builth Wells. Hugh Vaughan Vaughan (fl. 1885-1945) of the Castle, Builth married Eva Campbell of the Vicarage, Rhayader in 1885. They owned properties in Lower Pentwyn, Upper Pentwyn and Bedr in Gwennddwr. Eva died in 1932. Halimot Manor of Brecon was the home of Sir Charles Morgan. Dol-llwyd was a water mill that once belonged to John James, a farmer from Llanafan Fawr. Stanley Price Morgan Bligh of Cilmeri Park, Builth was born on 15th February 1870. His father was Oliver Morgan Bligh of Builth and his mother was Ellen Edwards of Buckingham Vale. He married Isabella Blythe in 1913. Bligh owned several properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten and in 1926 purchased the Clareville Grove Mews, Kensington, London. George Watkin Rice Watkins (fl. 1866-1881) of Llwyn-y-Brain, Llandovery was a Major in the 23rd Fusiliers. The Cambrian House of Llanwrtyd was jointly owned by Margaret Williams and John Llewelyn Edwards. Edwards was a carpenter in Brecon and he died on 3 July 1974. Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage of Market St., Builth Wells, was the property of Mrs. Cordelia Williams from 1840 -1912. Miss Margaret Williams became the owner from 1884 -1957. The Bank and the Half Moon is a public house in Builth. Llanafan Fawr, Bronllys, Crickadarn, Llanwrthwl, Gwenddwr, Llangamarch and Llanfaes are parishes in Brecknockshire.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Deeds of properties in the Watton of Brecon, 1824-1848; the Halimot Manor of Brecon, 1832-1890; Llanafan Fawr, 1820-1953; Bronllys Castle of Brecon, 1752-1910; Kings Head Lane, Builth, 1876-1893; Dol-llwyd Mill of Llanafan Fawr, 1810-1841; Crickadarn, 1768-1940; S.P.M. Bligh properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten, 1818-1933, and in Kensington, London, 1919-1926; Major George Watkin Watkins properties, 1769-1881; Bank Square, Builth Wells, 1813-1911; Cambrian House of Llanwrtyd, 1867, 1880, 1974; Bwlch-coch, Llanwrthwl, 1764-1941; Gwenddwr, 1762-1949; Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage Deeds, 1840-1957; Llangamarch, 1832-1901; Llanfaes, 1835-1847; Llanynys, 1806, 1816, 1821; the Strand, Builth, 1730-1867; Erwllwyn, Llanwrthwl, 1671-1913; the Bank and the Half Moon Deeds, Builth, 1778-1859.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the following groups: Watton; Halimot Manor; Llanafan Fawr; Bronllys Castle; Kings Head Lane; Dol-llwyd of Llanafan Fawr; Crickadarn; Bligh properties in Builth, Llangamarch and Llanganten; Watkins; Bank Square; Cambrian House; Bwlch-coch; Gwenddwr; Sudbrook Villa and Rose Cottage; Llangamarch, Bligh properties in Kensington; Llanfaes; Llanynys; the Strand; Erwllwyn; the Bank and the Half Moon.

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.

Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected.

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Vaughan and Vaughan of Builth Wells

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from content of fonds.

Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Vaughan and Vaughan solicitors, Builth Wells catalogue; Powys County Archives Office website (http://archives.powys.gov.uk), viewed 28 February 2005.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Deeds | England | London
Deeds | Wales | Brecon
Deeds | Wales | Breconshire
Deeds | Wales | Bronllys
Deeds | Wales | Crickadarn
Deeds | Wales | Gwenddwr
Deeds | Wales | Llanafan-fawr
Deeds | Wales | Llanfaes
Deeds | Wales | Llangamarch
Deeds | Wales | Llanganten
Deeds | Wales | Llanwrthwl
Deeds | Wales | Llanwrtyd Wells
Deeds | Wales | Powys
Vaughan and Vaughan | Solicitors | Archives

Personal names
Bligh , Stanley Morgan , b. 1870
Vaughan , Hugh Vaughan , 1852-1937
Watkins , George Watkin Rice

Corporate names
Bank and the Half Moon (Inn : Builth Wells, Wales)
Brecon, Hallimote Manor (Wales)
Bronllys Castle Estate (Wales)
Cambrian House (Llanwrtyd, Wales)
Dol-llwyd Mill
H. Vaughan Vaughan & Company, | solicitors
Rose Cottage (House : Builth Wells, Wales)
Sudbrook Villa

Places
Breconshire (Wales)
Bronllys (Wales)
Builth Wells (Wales)
Crickadarn (Powys, Wales)
Gwenddwr (Wales)
Llanafan-fawr (Wales)
Llanfaes (Powys, Wales)
Llangamarch (Wales)
Llanganten (Wales)
Llanwrthwl (Wales)
Llanwrtyd (Powys, Wales)
London (England)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details