ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
Humphreys and Parsons, records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 MD/HPA

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: Humphreys and Parsons Records

Short Title: Humphreys and Parsons, records

Creation date(s): [19th cent. ]-[ 20th cent.]

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: Information to be supplied

Name of creator(s): Humphreys and Parsons, solicitors, Machynlleth

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: Humphreys and Parsons are a firm of solicitors, lawyers and legal advisors in Machynlleth, Powys. The records relate to their clients. The oldest administrative records date from about the 1870s and concern David Howell, David Evans and Edmund Gillart. David Howell (d.1890) first occurs as a practicing solicitor in 1858. After his death his interest and parts of his property were sold to David Evans (d.1914) and Gillart who became a partner in the law firm in 1887. H. Meredith Roberts served first as clerk in the firm of Howell, Evans and Gillart in 1906. John Evans Thomas (1877-1934) was a prominent Welsh educationalist and a governor to many Welsh institutions such as the National Library of Wales and the National Museum of Wales. All of the solicitors have also held other posts. National Schools such as the Machynlleth National School were originally established by the National Society to teach an Anglican education while the British Schools originally established by the British & Foreign Society to teach non-sectarian education. John Jones established the National School at Machynlleth. The Education Act 1870 supplemented these existing schools through a network of elementary schools provided by School Boards (known as Board Schools). The British Schools became Board Schools while the National Schools remained independent. The Town Hall in Machynlleth was built in 1873 and run by a private company to replace the old market hall in Penrallt Street. There was a market hall downstairs and an assembly room upstairs with civic and community meetings and various entertainments being held there. It was demolished in 1968. There are records relating to the Mid Wales Law Society.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Records of the practice of Humphreys and Parsons, Machynlleth, Powys, relating mainly to the clients of the solicitors David Howell, David Evans, Edmund Gillart, H. Meredith Roberts, John Evans Thomas and Edward Pugh Humphreys, 19th cent. - 20th cent., including records relating to Machynlleth National School, 1853-1895; records relating to charities, 1846-1899; records of the Machynlleth Town Hall Company, 1871-1907; records relating to Machynlleth Urban District Council, 1895-1947; records relating to the Mid Wales Law Society, 1952-1963.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement: Arranged into the chronological order and into the clients of the solicitors David Howell, David Evans, Edmund Gillart, H. Meredith Roberts, John Evans Thomas and Edward Pugh Humphreys

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained

Accruals: Accruals are not expected

Archival history: The attics were held in the attic of the firm's offices in Machynlleth. They were also held in offices in Doll Street. Most of the files that were containing mainly correspondence were not collected. The records themselves were not in good order. Boxes and bundles had been mixed. No index was found.

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from names of collectors

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Powys County Archives Service, Humphreys and Parsons; Shrewsbury website (www.touchshrewsbury.com), viewed 4 March 2005; Welcome to Powys. A Day in the Life website (a-day-in-the-life.powys.org.uk), viewed 4 March 2005; Powys Digital History project(history.powys.org.uk), viewed 4 March 2005.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: March 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Dissenters, Religious | Wales | Powys
Humphreys and Parsons, solicitors | Archives
Legal documents | Wales | Powys
Machynlleth (Wales). | Urban District Council | Records and correspondence
Machynlleth National School | Records and correspondence
Mid Wales Law Society | Records and correspondence
Town Hall Company (Machynlleth, Wales) | Records and correspondence

Personal names
Evans , David , d. 1914
Gillart , Edmund , solicitor
Howell , David , Solicitor
Roberts , H. Meredith
Thomas , John Evans , solicitor of Machynlleth

Corporate names
Humphreys and Parsons, | solicitors
Machynlleth (Wales) | Urban District Council
Machynlleth National School
Mid Wales Law Society
Tabernacl Welsh Independent Church (Gowerton, Wales)
Town Hall Company (Machynlleth, Wales)

Places
Machynlleth (Wales)
Montgomeryshire (Wales)
Powys (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details