ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Powys County Archives Office
Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Radnorshire records

Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/MQ

Held at: Powys County Archives Office

Title: Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Radnorshire Records

Short Title: Mines and Quarries Inspectorate Radnorshire records

Creation date(s): [late 19th century]-[20th century]

Level of description: Fonds

Extent: (2 items)

Name of creator(s): Home Office, Mines Inspectorate; Mines Department, Mines Inspectorate

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The Mines and Quarries Inspectorate, now the Mine Inspectorate is part of the Health and Safety Executive and is responsible for checking the construction and safety of mines. An Act of 1850 required colliery owners to provide accurate maps for inspection, and that of 1872 obliged owners to deposit plans of abandoned mines with the Home Secretary. Until 1908 each inspector of mines was in charge of a district within the country and was assisted by local staff. Following reorganisation in 1908 a new Mines Department of the Home Office was created. In 1920 the Mines Inspectorate, the Mining Record Office and the Board for Mining Examinations were absorbed into a new Mining Department. The Inspectorate was transferred to the Ministry for Fuel and Power in 1942 and later the Ministry of Technology and the Department of Trade and Industry.

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: Plan of Saint Harmon mine, near Brynhir, [late 19th]-[20th century], including slide and negative.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access: No restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.

Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records transferred to Powys County Archives Service have been retained.

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition: Transferred by the Powys County Solicitor, 1990

ALLIED MATERIALS

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds

Archivist's note: Compiled by Richard Burman for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Powys County Archives Service, Mines and Quarries Inspectorate, catalogue; The National Archives, Records of the Mines Inspectorate and predecessors, 1850-1968, catalogue.

Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH

Date(s) of descriptions: May 2005


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Mine inspection | Wales | Powys
Mine maps

Personal names

Corporate names
Great Britain | Mines Inspectorate

Places
St Harmon (Wales)

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Powys County Archives Office  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details