ANW logo

Archives Network Wales

Search the collections:        Search help | Advanced search   | Browse by repository

Browse the indices: Combined(searchable) Personal names Corporate names Places Subjects

[Cymraeg]

[Home]

[New to Archives?]

[Family history]

[Admin menu]

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Aberystwyth University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details

Aberystwyth University
University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society Archive

Reference code(s): GB 0982 PYS

Held at: Aberystwyth University

Title: University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society Archive

Short Title: University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society Archive

Creation date(s): 1922-1984

Level of description: fonds

Extent: 0.052 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society

CONTEXT

Administrative/Biographical history: The University of Wales, Aberystwyth Scientific Society was established in 1892. Ten years later, it was decided to form sectional societies, and the Natural History and Chemistry divisions appeared. In 1906, a similar Physical Section was established. The first meeting was held on November 6th that year, with a lecture by Professor Schott on 'Recent Work in Spectra'. The Scientific Society remained the co-ordinating body for the various sections for many years, and was officially recognised by the SRC in 1926.
In 1923, the Physical Society was renamed the Physical Club. More emphasis was placed upon social events, and the club began organising puzzle nights and social evenings as well as lectures. In 1935 its new informality was reflected in a change of name once again to the Physics Club. During the post-war years the club flourished. A departmental trip was introduced, along with an annual dinner and a club tie.
During the 1960s, various name changes occurred, including a return to the Physical Society. Sub-groups also branched out from the Society, with the formation of an Electronic-Physics Group and an Astronomy Society. But this placed a strain on funds, and difficulties were encountered in organising such a variety of lecture programmes. Therefore, in 1975, the Society became known as the Physics and Astronomy Society. In 1981, though, the society once again reverted to its original name, the Physical Society (Cymdeithas Ffisegol).

CONTENT

Scope and content/abstract: The archive contains accounts, minute books and correspondence of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth Physics Society.

ACCESS AND USE

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access: The papers may be consulted through application to Information Services, Hugh Owen Library, University of Wales Aberystwyth, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DZ, Tel: 01970 622399, Fax: 01970 622404, E-mail: libinfo@aber.ac.uk

Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply

Finding aids: Basic finding aid available at Hugh Owen Library, University of Wales, Aberystwyth.

Language codes: eng

ARCHIVAL INFORMATION

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

ALLIED MATERIALS

Related material: The University of Wales, Aberystwyth Department of Physics Archive is also held by the University, along with the papers of two former Aberystwyth physicists, E J Williams and D A Richards.

DESCRIPTION NOTES

Note: Description compiled by Rhian Phillips, Archives Hub project archivist, with reference to W M Jones, 'One Hundred Years of Physics at UCW Aberystwyth', unpublished second draft, (1997).

Rules or conventions: Created following ISAD(G) and Archives Hub Data Creation Guidelines

Date(s) of descriptions: Prior to 16-11-2004


INDEX ENTRIES
Subjects
Physics
Student activities | Wales | Aberystwyth

Personal names

Corporate names
University of Wales, Aberystwyth, Physics Society

Places

List of repositories  |  List of collections at Aberystwyth University  |  Repository home page  |  Contact details